Rob Farley

Rob Rob Farley has been consulting in IT since completing a Computer Science degree with first class honours in 1997. Before moving to Adelaide, he worked in consultancies in Melbourne and London. He runs the development department in one of Australia's leading IT firms, as well as doing database application consultancy and training. He heads up the Adelaide SQL Server User Group, and holds several Microsoft certifications.

Rob has been involved with Microsoft technologies for most of his career, but has also done significant work with Oracle and Unix systems. His preferred database is SQL Server and his preferred language is C#. Recently he has been involved with Microsoft Learning in the US, creating and reviewing new content for the next generation of Microsoft exams.

Over the years, Rob's clients have included BP Oil, OneLink Transit, Accenture, Avanade, Australian Electorial Commission, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, the Royal Borough of Kingston, Help The Aged, Unisys, Department of Treasury and Finance (Vic), National Mutual, the Bible Society and others.

Did you mean to come here? My blog is now at http://msmvps.com/blogs/robfarley



14 March 2006

Still phoneless - but now blind and red too

This is driving me crazy. I'm still without my phone... and I have no idea how long it's going to be until it comes back. They gave me a different model as a loan (only an XDA II, not the IIs), but it's not the same. I miss the wireless connectivity, and the much better quality sound and so on.

And today I'm without my glasses too (beach accident, which just goes to prove that feet and specs don't mix). I'm sitting at work in my prescription sunglasses, while my frame gets fixed by the nice people down at L&P. A year or two ago I had a similar problem, and got some spare frames sent out from the US (fraction of the price), and then L&P fitted them to my lenses for free. I figure that when my prescription changes, I'll buy a new pair from them.

And I've found a really good use for my Microsoft XP shirt that Coatesy sent me several months ago. It's a really soft material, which means I can wear it today without feeling like I'm scratching my sunburn. I don't actually feel burnt, but I'm red enough to give the impression of it.