Rob Farley

Rob Rob Farley has been consulting in IT since completing a Computer Science degree with first class honours in 1997. Before moving to Adelaide, he worked in consultancies in Melbourne and London. He runs the development department in one of Australia's leading IT firms, as well as doing database application consultancy and training. He heads up the Adelaide SQL Server User Group, and holds several Microsoft certifications.

Rob has been involved with Microsoft technologies for most of his career, but has also done significant work with Oracle and Unix systems. His preferred database is SQL Server and his preferred language is C#. Recently he has been involved with Microsoft Learning in the US, creating and reviewing new content for the next generation of Microsoft exams.

Over the years, Rob's clients have included BP Oil, OneLink Transit, Accenture, Avanade, Australian Electorial Commission, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, the Royal Borough of Kingston, Help The Aged, Unisys, Department of Treasury and Finance (Vic), National Mutual, the Bible Society and others.

Did you mean to come here? My blog is now at http://msmvps.com/blogs/robfarley



21 October 2005

ADNUG and cross-browser compatibility

ADNUG had a lunchtime meeting today - Dave Glover spoke, on some of the new stuff that got mentioned at PDC. Nothing really new for quite a few people, but I was surprised to hear people suggesting that many of the new things would cause us all to be dependent on Internet Explorer.

I use Firefox generally these days. I tend to use IE for reading Hotmail, because that's what MSN Msgr launches when I click on the button that says how many unread emails I have. But generally, I like Firefox. I like the plugins, stuff like that. And I like the fact that Microsoft is being browser-aware like never before. There are very few things that don't work just as well in Firefox than in IE, and we're all being assured that ATLAS will work cross-browser. I like this about Microsoft, and I think they're probably not advertising this as much as they should be.