Rob Farley

Rob Rob Farley has been consulting in IT since completing a Computer Science degree with first class honours in 1997. Before moving to Adelaide, he worked in consultancies in Melbourne and London. He runs the development department in one of Australia's leading IT firms, as well as doing database application consultancy and training. He heads up the Adelaide SQL Server User Group, and holds several Microsoft certifications.

Rob has been involved with Microsoft technologies for most of his career, but has also done significant work with Oracle and Unix systems. His preferred database is SQL Server and his preferred language is C#. Recently he has been involved with Microsoft Learning in the US, creating and reviewing new content for the next generation of Microsoft exams.

Over the years, Rob's clients have included BP Oil, OneLink Transit, Accenture, Avanade, Australian Electorial Commission, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, the Royal Borough of Kingston, Help The Aged, Unisys, Department of Treasury and Finance (Vic), National Mutual, the Bible Society and others.

Did you mean to come here? My blog is now at http://msmvps.com/blogs/robfarley



07 October 2005

A couple of days with Victor

It's the school holidays here in South Australia. So I took a couple of days off this week and we went to Victor Harbor (What's missing? 'u' - seriously there's no 'u' in it).

First day, the weather wasn't great, but it was good for walking around Granite Island, letting the boys play, and stop thinking about work.

Next day, we went to Greenhills Adventure Park. That's a whole lot of fun if you have kids. There's a bunch of stuff to do, and if you go mid-week, slightly off-season (ie, not in January), then it's empty enough to be able to do lots of stuff. Joel got slightly freaked out by the water slides (but loved them and went over and over), Samuel got frustrated that his quad-bike wasn't fast enough, and Roslyn picked up some lovely bruises. As for my highlight, well, I didn't go on slides or bouncey castles, etc and my back is still sorer today than I'd like (especially around my neck where I got sunburnt), but I did try doing some archery - for one of the first times since I helped run the archery club at high-school. I did badly most of the time, but on the 2nd set of 4, I got my height about right, and on the fourth set of 4, I managed to get two shots pretty close to the centre of the target. I was pretty pleased with that! They were even touching each other!

The annoying thing about taking days off is that the amount of work doesn't seem to decrease. I feel really busy today. But I guess it's just the way it goes. One day I'll get around to taking a proper holiday. :) But it was heaps of fun to get away from normality.