Rob Farley

Rob Rob Farley has been consulting in IT since completing a Computer Science degree with first class honours in 1997. Before moving to Adelaide, he worked in consultancies in Melbourne and London. He runs the development department in one of Australia's leading IT firms, as well as doing database application consultancy and training. He heads up the Adelaide SQL Server User Group, and holds several Microsoft certifications.

Rob has been involved with Microsoft technologies for most of his career, but has also done significant work with Oracle and Unix systems. His preferred database is SQL Server and his preferred language is C#. Recently he has been involved with Microsoft Learning in the US, creating and reviewing new content for the next generation of Microsoft exams.

Over the years, Rob's clients have included BP Oil, OneLink Transit, Accenture, Avanade, Australian Electorial Commission, the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, the Royal Borough of Kingston, Help The Aged, Unisys, Department of Treasury and Finance (Vic), National Mutual, the Bible Society and others.

Did you mean to come here? My blog is now at http://msmvps.com/blogs/robfarley



01 August 2006

Kelvin Wilson appears to be offline.

My time away was good. I had lots of fun at Redmond. It was really great to work with such talents as Tobias, Brian and Bill. The weather was great too, and having my family there made everything good. We sat by the pool in the evenings, or went out somewhere.

So after 2 weeks there, we went to London to see my family. My grandmother has heart surgery this week, so it was very good timing. The weather was hot, and things were good...

...except that on Monday morning, I had a phone-call from Australia to tell me that my friend Kelvin Wilson had died. I would talk to Kelvin almost on a daily basis. We would talk about SQL, about theology, sci-fi, comedy, rugby. It's very sad that he has died. There is a blog that can take comments about him - http://kelvinwilson.blogspot.com - you will be missed. His funeral is tomorrow, and I will be there. It will be the first funeral I have been at since Roslyn's dad died, which in turn was the first funeral I was at since my own dad died over 20 years ago. I don't do funerals in general. For Kelvin, I will make an exception.